Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Morning Real Estate Review


Column: Historic preservation and contemporary renovation collide in Cleveland Park  (The Washington Post) Is historic preservation sometimes detrimental to neighborhoods, especially when it comes to renovating?

Housing exuberance led by 'glamorous cities' (Bloomberg) Schiller, found of Case-Schiller index, says there is a new risk of "speculative fervor".

Suspected mortgage fraud filings down 31% (HousingWire) Compared to the same quarter from this past year, suspected mortgage fraud filings are down by 31 percent. An abnormal spike occurred in the first three quarters of 2011.

Secondary loan market still weak (The Washington Times) Since Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are now government-owned mortgage giants, there remains little incentive for a strong secondary loan market.

For rent by owner: Legal landmines for landlord (The Washington Post) While renting out an apartment, there are a number of somewhat obscure laws potential landlords should aware of.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

The summary of the Post article and, the article itself, on the supposed "conflict" between historic preservation and change in Cleveland Park overstates the issue. What the article did not report is that the homeowner who is miffed that he can not install solar panels visible from the street in fact received HPRB approval to double the size of his home and add an outbuilding, a substantial consruction project of over a year. HPRB also permitted solar panels to be added, just not in all the locations that the homeowner wanted. It sounds like a case of the homeowner getting 99%of what he sought and whining about the other 1%. There are, in fact, many energy efficient products, including photovoltaic cells that look like shingles, that have been widely used in historic districts around the country. In DC and the Cleveland Park historic district in particular, there are numerous additions, modifications and adaptive re-uses of structures which have been approved by HPRB and its staff. The article seems like a red herring. (Finally, the ANC commissioner quoted in the article doesn't even represent any part of an historic district, so is not the most informed source.)

 

DCmud - The Urban Real Estate Digest of Washington DC Copyright © 2008 Black Brown Pop Template by Ipiet's Blogger Template