Wednesday, October 06, 2010

County to Develop Arlington Mill Residences as Low Income Housing


As promised at the Arlington Mill Steering Committee meeting in September, during which details for the five-story, Davis Carter Scott-designed Community Center were presented to the public, Arlington County has selected Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing (APAH) as the official developer of the residential portion of the Arlington Mill project. Groundbreaking on the Community Center is expected in early spring of next year, while construction on the 122-unit Arlington Mill Residences is expected to begin in June of 2012.

The low-rise apartment building, designed by local firm Kishimoto Gordon Dalaya Architecture (KGD) will offer six efficiency units, 18 one-bedroom units, 73 two-bedroom units, and 25 three-bedroom units. The entire building will be marketed as affordable housing, the majority of the apartments offered at 60% AMI, with a smaller portion (roughly a tenth) priced at 40% AMI. Developers boast that the design both complies with Columbia Pike Form Based Code and "will be constructed utilizing green building design and will be Earthcraft certified." Earthcraft offers a sustainability designation less rigorous than LEED certification. An open field for public use will provide ample green space for residents, and hoping to further encourage green transportation and exercise, developers designed the site with a direct link to the neighboring Four Mile Run park and bicycle trails.

Developers have projected the total cost at $30 million. To lighten the financial burden, APAH will seek financing from the Virginia Housing Development Authority (VHDA) through permanent mortgage financing and Low-Income Housing Tax Credits. Paradigm Companies will serve as general contractor and property manager, Studio39 is slated to shoulder landscaping design duties, and VIKA will assist the team as civil engineers. Paradigm and APAH worked together with Arlington officials to complete the Parc Rosslyn affordable housing project in 2008.
Arlington, VA Real Estate Development News

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donde esta? The map link is broken

Anonymous said...

The mixed use development site is located at the SE corner of S. Dinwiddie St. and Columbia Pike. The Community Center will face the Pike. The Residences are in the rear, facing Dinwiddie St.

Eric said...

This isn't really low income housing. It's more like "affordable". Based on these metrics, I'm a low income qualifier, but I certainly wouldn't say I have a low income, per se. I live comfortably.

Ed said...

Median income for Arlington is $94,800. 60% is $56k for a family, max. That's low-income. The others are capped at $37,900. Sorry to offend if your salary is below that, but that is definitely low income. And can you illuminate the rest of us about the difference between "low income" and "affordable"? The difference is only political.

Anonymous said...

What is the damn deal about the income? If the people can afford it or if it is at a reasonable price then it should be no problem. It sure beats paying too damn much for overpriced housing that ain't worth jack value wise.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, by the way-for those who are probably going to comment; yes I am a homeowner and if I would've known then what I know now, I would'nt have purchased. Point blank. Or I would've at least waited until I could've bought housing for pennies on the dollar. So, yes I do have a right to make such a comment at stated above. And no, I did not have any type of subprime lending issues nor incentives when I bought and I did not buy into housing that was overpriced for my income or my budget.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, by the way-for those who are probably going to comment; yes I am a homeowner and if I would've known then what I know now, I would'nt have purchased. Point blank. Or I would've at least waited until I could've bought housing for pennies on the dollar. So, yes I do have a right to make such a comment as stated above. And no, I did not have any type of subprime lending issues nor incentives when I bought and I did not buy into housing that was overpriced for my income or my budget.

Anonymous said...

Why is Arlington doing a 100% affordable project? Don't they understand that you shouldn't concentrate one income category in one location? This and all projects should be mixed income.

Anonymous said...

Good grief, get the government out of the market. This is just another example of rampant redistributionism . . .

Anonymous said...

More on Arlington Mill here: http://arlingtonhousing.wordpress.com/2010/11/02/county-picks-apah-to-partner-on-arlington-mill-site/

Post a Comment

Commercial ads will be deleted, so don't even think about it.

 

DCmud - The Urban Real Estate Digest of Washington DC Copyright © 2008 Black Brown Pop Template by Ipiet's Blogger Template