Saturday, February 04, 2012

Your Next Place


By Franklin Schneider

A name can be so evocative. This place, for example, is located in the "Ritz Residences," so you know pretty much what you're going to get before you even walk in the door. Class, sophistication, timelessness, and various other virtues not at all embodied by my ironic mullet. (What, it's a commentary on contemporary mores. Also, it keeps my neck warm.)

And this place certainly lives up to expectations. Two entire walls of the elegant living room are floor-to-ceiling windows, opening onto a stunning view of the city. The formal dining room features more huge windows and a low-slung, very ritzy chandelier. The long, roomy kitchen features tons of cabinet space, a breakfast room, and a balcony. Then there's the master suite, which boasts another private balcony, and a palatial master bath that has more marble in it than many museums. There's a den (to do all your dennin' in) and all the bedrooms have, yes, massive windows, much like the rest of the place.


Amenities include a round-the-clock-concierge, two parking spaces AND valet parking to go with them. If you're a terrible driver like me, you know how much stress valet parking can alleviate. The last time I drove a car, I was sitting at a stoplight doing totally fine, until for some reason I thought to myself, “boy would it be bad if I suddenly forgot which pedal was the accelerator and which was the brake!” It was like that mental trick where you tell yourself, “don't think about a purple polar bear,” and then that's all you can think about. Next thing I knew, I was careening backwards at 30mph down a narrow one-way street. The only reason I didn't crash was because of my uncanny ability to drive in reverse at high speeds. (Not really, I hit a construction dumpster. Luckily, it wasn't my car.)

1111 23rd Street NW Unit S5A
3 Bedrooms, 3.5 Baths
$2,000,000



Washington D.C. real estate news

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, if you don't mind paying $2000 per month in condo fees, I guess its okay.

Anonymous said...

For 2 million, I hope all the mold is gone. The Ritz wasn't so ritzy when it first opened. As I recall, it was no secret that the building had a big problem with black mold.

Anonymous said...

It's remarkable what some people (presumably) pay just for what they perceive to be a prestigious name. No way that unit is worth anywhere near the cost.

JJ said...

The mold problem was a construction problem and was remedied a decade ago, kind of foolish that people still bring it up and wonder if it was fixed.

Anonymous said...

I used to live in the building and while $2,000 condo fees is crazy high, there is something to be said for the valet parking. Oh, and ability to order warm chocolate chip cookies from room service.

Anonymous said...

Those "stunning city views" will soon be reduced, in depth if not quality, by Eastbanc's condos-over new-library project across 23rd Street. As it happens, that development is slated to produce perhaps the most architecturally interesting building in the West End, so perhaps the view reduction isn't so bad. Still, for that kind of money...

Anonymous said...

The photos are bad, sorry guys. Over HDR'd (a new verb). I know, It's a minor point, but still...

Post a Comment

Commercial ads will be deleted, so don't even think about it.

 

DCmud - The Urban Real Estate Digest of Washington DC Copyright © 2008 Black Brown Pop Template by Ipiet's Blogger Template