Sunday, March 25, 2012

Your Next Place


By Franklin Schneider

This one-of-a-kind house has a distinctly European flavor, only without the sixty percent income taxes and black-socks-and-sandals. (I imagine a European real estate blogger somewhere typing, "This house has a distinctly American flavor, only without the stars-n-stripes fanny packs and large-print bibles.")

But really, this house is one of the more unique properties I've been in, from the incredible skylights (they're everywhere in this house) to the stunning kitchen. I've never seen a kitchen space anything like it, and yet it makes so much sense that I really feel this sort of design should be ubiquitous. (I feel the same way when I see a woman with a poodle perm.) The vertically-striped dining room really won me over, and so did the divided living room. And as befitting a house of such distinction, the bedrooms are all spacious and have their own individual character. Best of all, wherever you look in this place, there's a little unexpected skylight or cupboard or long desk or built-in shelves. It's like the last surviving work of some extinct master builder who thought of absolutely everything.


Outside is a sweeping stone patio and a tiered garden, and there's also a beautiful in-law suite. Even if you don't have in-laws, it could come in handy. My parents recently moved into a new house and during my first visit I noticed they had an in-law suite. "But who's going to stay there?" I asked at dinner. "Your father," said my mom without hesitating. We all continued eating in silence.

3615 Chesapeake Street NW
6 Bedrooms, 4.5 Baths
$1,299,000




1 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I live in a major European capital, I am quite familiar with two European countries' countrysides. This house, while incredibly beautiful and quite distinctly of a flavor that is "Upper Northwest", isn't quite a bit quite distinctly of a "European" flavor.

Post a Comment

Commercial ads will be deleted, so don't even think about it.

 

DCmud - The Urban Real Estate Digest of Washington DC Copyright © 2008 Black Brown Pop Template by Ipiet's Blogger Template