Wednesday, November 28, 2012

10 Questions with Deborah Ratner Salzberg



10 Questions is a weekly feature in which we interview some of the leading District figures in real estate, architecture, development, and planning. This week's subject ... Deborah Ratner Salzberg, President of Forest City Washington, Inc.

For Deborah Ratner Salzberg, real estate runs in the family.  As President of Forest City Washington, Inc., Salzberg oversees the local branch of billion-dollar development giant Forest City Enterprises Inc., the company her family founded in 1920.  A former attorney at the U.S. Department of Justice, Ms. Salzberg also holds leadership positions with many community, arts, and philanthropic organizations, including The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington, the Washington Ballet, and Arts for the Aging.

1. What's a typical day for you?

Wake up and head to the gym. Go into the office. Check emails. Spend the day balancing Forest City Washington work with community/nonprofit activites. Check emails. I generally have a lunch meeting and after work often head to a fundraiser or nonprofit event.  Head home and check emails. Get an advance start on tomorrow’s headlines on my iPad. Go to sleep and start again.


2. What or who is your biggest influence?

My biggest influences are my relatives. I work with my relatives, and they influenced my decision to join Forest City. I was surrounded by strong independent women growing up. My mother, paternal grandmother and three aunts all worked outside of the home. My father has always been my advisor, biggest fan and supporter. To this day I've never given a speech without running by him first. Although, I didn’t run these answers by him!


3. What neighborhood do you live in?

The Edgemoor area of Bethesda.


4. What is your biggest DC pet peeve?

We can’t see stars at night due to the bright lights.  It’s time to convert to directional street light fixtures.




5. What is the #1 most played song on your iPod?

Born to Run….I play it when I’m working out.


6. Favorite DC haunt?

Sterling.  My gym.


7. What's your favorite thing to do on a Sunday afternoon?

Yoga


8. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

Here, but I wouldn’t mind a second home in NY, SF, Paris or Tel Aviv.


9. If you couldn't be a developer, what would you be?

An international flight attendant. I love to travel.


10. Name one thing most people don't know about you.

I took a semester off from college my sophomore year and moved to Hawaii where I ended up working in security for McInerny Department Store.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Commercial ads will be deleted, so don't even think about it.

 

DCmud - The Urban Real Estate Digest of Washington DC Copyright © 2008 Black Brown Pop Template by Ipiet's Blogger Template