Friday, November 09, 2012

10 Questions with Yolanda Cole



10 Questions is a weekly feature in which we interview some of the leading District figures in real estate, architecture, development, and planning. This week's subject ... Yolanda Cole, principal of Hickock Cole Architects.

Through over 25 years of experience in building and interior design, Cole has had a hand in many award-winning buildings (senior designer for Australia's Chifley Tower and New York's Capital Cities/ABC headquarters, to name just two), and been consistently recognized as a leading figure in the business community.  Originally a partner at leading woman-owned interior design firm LyrixDesign, Cole is now a senior principal and co-owner at Hickock Cole Architects, widely acknowledged as one of the leading architectural firms in the area, having designed the new NPR headquarters, the CSIS building on Rhode Island Ave., the DC AIA architecture center, among others.

1.  What's a typical day for you?

Go to the gym, get to work, check email, and attend any combination of meetings on:  projects, RFPs, proposals and interviews; marketing and business development; corporate issues like budgets, employee reviews and staffing; and meetings and presentations for industry organizations. And then there’s more email. It's go, go, go!

2.  What or who is your biggest influence?

The "what" would be that I am internally driven to make things happen, so I am my own engine. The "who" would be my inner circle:  my mother, my daughter, my business partner, and my significant other.

3.  What neighborhood do you live in?

The 14th Street corridor, and I love it!


4.  What is your biggest DC pet peeve?

Taxation without representation and Congress meddling in DC affairs.

5.  What is the #1 most played song on your iPod?

I'm a shuffler, so no one song gets greater play. I go with the flow by my moods and my playlists.


6.  Favorite DC haunt?

Muleh for clothes, Rasika for dinner and Bohemian Caverns for music. I also enjoy just being at home.

7.  What's your favorite thing to do on a Sunday afternoon?

Play my flute, write, or do a little bit of nothing. I'm not very good at the latter.

8.  If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

Italy. I would love to learn to speak Italian. The food is pretty awesome, too.



9. If you couldn't be an architect, what would you be?

An astro-physicist. I am amazed by the wonders of the cosmos.

10. Name one thing most people don't know about you.

I'm an introvert!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is truly a ridiculous post (as are all of the 10 question posts)...why not ask these people meaningful questions about the dc real estate market or their careers in general?? instead, you are wasting their time (and mine) by asking them what is on their ipod? get a grip

poo said...

i found it very interesting, as i do most of the 10 question posts, but then again, i'm an interesting person.

Ken on Nov 9, 2012, 2:22:00 PM said...

Anon, thanks for the feedback, we wrestled with it too, but since we write about their projects all the time we thought it would be more interesting to highlight the person behind the projects. If you want to learn about what projects Ms. Cole is working on, click on the "Hickok Cole" tab at the top of the article, you can view all the work of that firm we have covered.

And poo: thanks man.

Post a Comment

Commercial ads will be deleted, so don't even think about it.

 

DCmud - The Urban Real Estate Digest of Washington DC Copyright © 2008 Black Brown Pop Template by Ipiet's Blogger Template