Saturday, January 21, 2012

Your Next Place



A lot of times, I sort of hurry through my open houses so I can get back home and go back to bed (what, Sunday is the day of rest), but this place was so stunning I actually called my friends and urged them to hurry over and check it out. "There's an elevator! With recessed lighting!" I said excitedly. "The only way we'll ever set foot in this house again would be as burglars!"

No one came. That's fine though, I did enough coveting for everyone. I mean, look at this place! An already ridiculously beautiful Beaux Arts home in Kalorama, it was exhaustively redone in 2009 with only the finest materials and finishes. This house is like a gold-plated Lamborghini. Right off the bat you're dazzled by the high-ceilinged black and white marble foyer with views of Rock Creek Park. (That's right - the foyer has park views.) Then there's the formal dining room, which brilliantly achieves a sort of classic sophistication while also seeming totally of the moment. Not as easy as it sounds, as you know if you've ever been laughed at in public for wearing a sweater vest. The living room is airy and bright, with an original wood-burning fireplace, and there's a fantastic library with another fireplace and a ton of fine wooden built-ins.


Upstairs, the master bedroom is truly masterful, with Italian custom cabinetry and a patio overlooking the back, and the master bathroom, one of nine (!) is incredible, with marble floors, mahogany vanities, and a huge glass cube of a shower, outfitted with one of those rain-style trickle-down showerheads that seemed so easy to install in my apartment but then fell off during its inaugural shower and bonked me on the head like an anvil hitting Wile E. Coyote in the cartoons.

There's the aforementioned elevator, and the family/media room is wired for a home theater sound system, and also a wet bar. (A winning combination.) Downstairs is a four car garage and a double laundry room. In the back is a tiered garden and a very large stone patio that seems sort of like something you'd see in a period piece about the French Revolution. Seriously though, I never thought I'd look at an six million dollar price tag for something and immediately think, "Really? That seems low."

34 Kalorama Circle, NW
8 Bedrooms, 8 Baths
$6,425,000







Washington D.C. real estate news

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a pretty amazing place. I'd love to eventually build my own house and this gives me some great ideas (such as a legit fireplace). With regard to the elevator, I'd probably lean more towards a dumbwaiter because it's got more of the, umm, American colonial feel (it was invented by Thomas Jefferson, or so I've read) and I can't think up a need for an elevator--keep the master bedroom on the first floor, right?!

Great pictures, by the way, of an amazing house! That house is going to take one heckuva a down payment!

Anonymous said...

It's going to take one heckuva mortgage!

Post a Comment

Commercial ads will be deleted, so don't even think about it.

 

DCmud - The Urban Real Estate Digest of Washington DC Copyright © 2008 Black Brown Pop Template by Ipiet's Blogger Template